Hands-on, educational workshop for homeschool students. 11am elementary session, 12pm middle/high school session. $5 members/$10 non-members. Monthly on the 1st Wednesday from September-May. Register by calling (956) 682-0123.
IMAS Homeschool Days are special hand-on workshops that will take students on an in-depth exploration of art and science concepts and are the perfect complement to our exhibits. These programs will be thematic and cover grades 1-12 in specialized units. Programs include a brief exhibit encounter as well as a hands-on activity. Join us on the first Wednesday of every month. Programs last 45 minutes. Rates: IMAS Member: $5/ Non-Member $10.
To register today, call our reservationist at (956) 682-0123, weekdays from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Grade Level Times: * Elementary: 11 a.m. * Middle School and High School: 12 p.m.
- September 7: Space Adventures: Rocket into space as you create your own rocket utilizing the laws of physics. Next, discover the sun, moon, and stars as you participate in hands-on activities that explore our night sky.
- October 5: Wonderful Water: Take a journey along the water cycle as you learn about clouds, rain, and local bodies of water. Explore the role pollution plays and how it can harm our local watersheds through hands-on activities.
- November 2: It’s a Material World! Explore the history and chemistry behind textile design. Play with texture, pattern, and much more as you create your own textile inspired paper quilt.
- December 7: Fascinating Folk Art: Inspired by Mexican masks, explore the stories and traditions of local folk art. Create your own folk art inspired sculpture using recycled materials to take home.
- January 4: Geo-gami: Put your thinking cap on as you explore the artful world of geometry. Use what you’ve learn to create a colorful origami animal to take home.
- February 1: Bugging Around: How to butterflies soar through the sky? What does a flower look like in the eyes of a bug? How do bugs eat? Discover the answer to these questions and more during this creepy crawly workshop!
- March 1: Build it Tall: Become the architect and engineer as you explore the way we build the world around us through hands-on building activities. From bridges, to skyscrapers, to homes, explore the many features of these common structures and more!
- April 5: Bountiful Botanicals: Discover the many unique plants commonly found throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Explore the needs of plant life and take a closer look at the elements of a flower. Create your own botanical study to bring home.
- May 3: Super Hero Science: It’s a bird…it’s a plane…it’s science? Take a crack at the secrets of your favorite superheroes as we investigate superhero powers and the science behind them. Learn a few tricks of your own to surprise and awe your friends!